Mix & Till Gardening Soil Amendments
If you have a landscape or garden project, Tim Wallace Soil Mix Supply has the materials that support the results you envision. We produce our blended and premium mixes onsite at our Bolingbrook facility – a distinctive rarity among local landscaping supply.
Our Mix & Till compost and sand amendments are ideal for gardeners who have an ample amount of good black dirt and want to replenish and reinvigorate the soil. These products perform best when roto-tilled or hand-blended into the existing soil.
The Tim Wallace Mix & Till Difference
Most sand and compost orders in the region are loaded by an end loader into a delivery truck, and the hope is that the material will combine as it can while en route. In a slightly better scenario, the material might be mixed a bit (not blended) by the end loader when it is first dumped at the facility.
At Tim Wallace Soil Mix Supply, our thorough preparation includes multiple steps:
- Gather all related components
- Take them to our mixing bin
- Mix them mechanically with a loader
- Blend the combined products again by running them through our pulverizer
- Scoop the material up with a loader and run it through a second pulverizer with a conveyor belt, which elevates the product for dumping into a truck
With this level of readiness, your final product is truly fit to contribute to healthy, vibrant plants in your landscape or garden.
Compost adds organic components to your soil to help break up the structure into tiny pores and air channels that give the plants greater access to food. This makes compost an excellent amendment for vegetable gardens.
Adding compost also:
- releases nutrients slowly so they don’t leach away as some synthetic fertilizers do
- promotes aeration and drainage in clay soil
- enhances moisture and nutrient retention in sandy soil
- reduces soil compaction
- inhibits erosion
- suppresses soil-borne diseases and pests
- attracts earthworms (nature’s best soil builders) as well as other beneficial organisms that lessen the need for pesticides and fertilizers
Your choices of Tim Wallace compost include:
- Organic Mushroom Compost: A combination of composted straw, horse manure and peat; a superb topdressing for overseeding the lawn
- Organic Compost: By-product of recycled organic components such as leaves, vegetable scraps and small twigs that become a rich soil amendment referred to as “Black Gold”
- Purple Cow Classic Compost: Finely screened, 100% plant-based product (leaves, sticks, branches) free of manure, weed seeds and pathogens; a national favorite that carries the OMRI Listed® seal for organic production
- Composted Horse Manure: Aged and regularly turned product that is ideal for vegetable gardens
Sand is a naturally occurring granular material made of finely divided rock and mineral particles such as silica and calcium carbonate. Because it is highly porous and permeable, it helps increase the drainage and penetrability of gardening soil.
Soil that drains well is easy to dig, work with and mix with compost. Sand’s porosity in gardening soil also lets more air reach plant roots while helping prevent root disease from excess water.
The keys to using sand for a project are understanding when to include it and what the difference is between fine sand and coarse sand. Tim Wallace Soil Mix Supply offers you either type for achieving your goals.
- Fine sand (smaller than 75µ) helps soil to clump and congeal. It also supports water retention while preventing soil porosity. These characteristics favor root development. Fine sand is the top option for planting beds that are in the ground.
- Coarse sand (larger than 75µ up to 4.75mm) will create more porosity and drainage, which is desirable for making a dense soil (e.g. clay) more penetrable. Flowers, tomatoes and root vegetables such as beets and radishes are examples of plants that can grow well with coarse sand blended in soil. Course sand also is the preferred choice for raised-bed gardens of all kinds.
Ordering Basics for Gardening Soil Amendments
The garden and landscape specialists at Tim Wallace Soil Mix Supply support you with the ideas and information for achieving the results you desire. Every project is even more fun when it’s done right with the proper materials!
Once your objectives are defined, you can place your order for either pickup or delivery.
The minimum quantity for pickup is one cubic yard (27 cubic feet). You can request your Mix & Till blend beforehand or have it made while you wait at our Bolingbrook facility.
If you prefer delivery of your material, we can bring from 2 to 12 cubic yards straight to your driveway. Delivery cost will be determined by distance.
Mix & Till Made for You: Find Out More
A colorful, flourishing yard begins with the right soil and amendments according to specific planting goals and characteristics. Tim Wallace Soil Mix Supply provides you the knowledge and materials for making your garden and landscape grow. Contact us at (630) 759-1080 to tell us about your project!